Skip to main content

distant view


I am delighted to say that some of my springtime activities will be featured in the Autumn 2012 issue of Somerset Memories, scheduled for release on October 1.  I am most grateful to Managing Editor, Jana Holstein, and all the creative individuals at Stampington & Company www.stampington.com for this kind opportunity. Their lovely publications caught my eye at a bookstore a few years ago, and I have been an avid fan ever since. 


When Somerset Memories’ challenge, “Think Outside the Book,” was posted earlier this year, I was intrigued. I was experimenting with a pincushion design that would utilize some of my family memorabilia. For the past few years, I had been unearthing various heirlooms, and I was also in need of a pincushion- one to replace the sad, little imposter I was utilizing.  What emerged during my process was an assortment of memo pins, memory pockets, sachets, and pincushions, as well as a distant, revealing view of the women whose lives had shaped much of my being.


I included a number of mementoes in my pieces- a sugar bowl that formerly resided in my parents’ dining room; one of my maternal grandmother’s rosary beads and her thimble; and some of my fraternal grandmother’s sewing notions.  To these I added vintage millinery flowers and lace and scrapbook and jewelry findings.  The instructions for making some of these simple memory keepers are included in the upcoming article.


So now when I’m stitching, those far away will be near. The soulful simplicity they shared with me will be felt, lovingly incorporated into the fabric of my everyday life.

Comments