Skip to main content

after taxes


Once again, I have been gathering materials, working with scraps of paper, and giving my attention to the smallest of details; but these recent efforts have not been particularly satisfying, for the project at hand has been tax preparation. Yes, same process, different emotional result—ahhh . . . well, “C’est la vie.” But, no need to despair, for after a quick trip to my accountant’s office to drop off my data, I immediately returned to more pleasant activities-the making of some small sachets.


Sachets are proving to be standard fare in my creative repertoire. I make them in various sizes for various reasons. They are most often formed from scraps of cotton and linen left over from larger projects. In this instance, I also incorporated some lovely blue cotton from one of my husband’s well-worn dress shirts, as well as some vintage flour sack material from my grandmother’s sewing supplies.  Although these particular sachets were originally intended for a home and hearth project, my process was suddenly interrupted by a singular thought, “ Wouldn’t these sachets be the perfect size for a small packet of Cadbury mini eggs?” In my defense, the thought was not as random as it appears. I was also working on some Easter gifts for our grandchildren.


I’ve always liked Cadbury mini eggs for both their delicate, speckled exteriors and the tasty chocolate encased within. They were a staple in my children’s Easter baskets for many years; but as my children grew up and out, as did my waistline, these mini morsels disappeared from my life—until now—mini eggs in a mini sachet. As my work progressed, other ideas emerged; one, a calorie-free version, to include lovely bird magnets and petite squares of French milled soap.


Should you find a moment, after taxes, to indulge in a simple creative project, here are some basic instructions for the sachet. As usual, changes can be made to suit your own tastes.

Instructions: Cut 9” L X 5 ¼” W strip of linen or cotton fabric. Machine stitch ¼” from all edges of strip (This will provide a guide for sewing and fringing). Fold 5 ¼” W bottom edge of strip up ¼” toward wrong side of fabric and press. With fusible bond strip, affix ¼” folded edge between stitching lines (Do not include the ¼” stitched outer edge, because this will be fringed). Fold bottom edge again 3 ¼” to wrong side and press (This will form your pocket). Machine stitch pocket front to back, at sides, using the ¼” stitching line as your guide. Fringe remaining 3 sides by pulling threads on outside edges (The ¼” stitching line will control the width of the fringed edge).   Fold down fringed upper section to top of pocket and press (This makes a top flap of approximately 1 ¾”). Next, cut fabric strips 11” L X 1 ½” W. Machine stitch ¼” along length of strip (This will provide a guide for fringing). Fringe the strips, wrap around the sachet, folding one end piece under ¼” to provide a clean edge. I attached the cotton strips with fusible bond. I also utilized a mint tin inside the sachet pocket to hold the fabric taut, as I wrapped and adhered the smaller strip to the sachet pocket.  Embellish as desired. I utilized some millinery flowers, but the options are endless- buttons, paper flowers or earrings pieces would work as well. You may want to add a small snap or some Velcro dots on the back to keep your contents securely tucked away.






Comments