Skip to main content

measuring up

While I was selecting a few materials for an upcoming exhibit, I came upon some aluminum measuring spoons. When I saw them, I immediately thought of my grandmother’s set. On hot summer days it wasn't unusual to find me in her air-conditioned kitchen, spoons in hand, crafting an assortment of edible and “not so edible” creations.


Over the years, blistering Texas summers have changed little, however my creative imagination has led me elsewhere. Now, I’ve designated spoons like these for a different purpose. Now, their grainy, scratched surfaces are merely objects of beauty.


Comments

  1. I have a tablespoon of Mama's that looks like these as n I use it all the time. The wooden stand I put the measuring cups and spoons on was her's and I also still have a set of her measuring spoons other than the tablespoon that looks like the ones you have pictured here. No matter the sad times, we had a wonderful Christmas in LaHood and got to spend so much time with grandparents. We would have been even more blessed if we would have been able to learn how to make homemade pasta with Grandma Preninger. I think she would have been amazing. Maybe we could have called her Grandma Mitzi. That would have been cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment