Skip to main content

abstract thinking

When others hear I’m creating and exhibiting art, they most often remark, “Oh, you paint?” Until recently, I would smile and say, “No,” and then mumble something about collage, assemblage and how they might find my work a bit strange. Now, upon inquiry, I quickly reply that I’m working as a collage and assemblage artist before dissolving into my usual qualifying comments.


I’ve had very little experience with painting. As a young artist, I preferred charcoal, pencil and pen. Oddly, though, it was one of my early paintings that earned a place in my parents’ home. (I was always a little embarrassed, because my instructor had painted all the “good” parts.) For some reason, my father loved that painting. I never knew why. I often wondered if he did.

So recently, I was surprised when an old, discarded watercolor set provided inspiration for new works-- two abstract pieces devoid of figurative elements, each created solely in response to color, shape and form.


I hope the new collages will be the first of many and that my skills in this area will continue to grow. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I’m pleased to report that the pieces will be included in Raw 1899’s First.Love.Abstracted Juried Art Show & Sale, slated for October 4-November 17.  One never knows where inspiration may arise or where it will lead. For now, I’m most happy to follow its call.

Comments

  1. I think the painting was loved because it was an outdoor scene, and the ones displaying the item loved the outside. I am so happy for you that you reached out in this abstract show, but I think many of your collages have an appearance that makes one wonder about an alternative meaning besides the literal object that you are viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought it was odd, though, that our father was drawn to an ocean landscape. I suppose everyone loves the ocean.

    I do hope those who view my art are caused to wonder. It's one of the reasons I do what I do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment